Wednesday, March 17, 2010

IBIS: Education and Food Systems

I'm working at an outdoor education camp called Ibis which is located on the Banksia Peninsula.

In my free time I'm working with a colleague to develop some food gardens around the site.
Some of our work so far has included installing a milk crate worm farm, a hot compost pile system and more recently a hot compost plastic barrel system. These waste systems are allowing us to break down massive amounts of food waste quickly, ready for garden use. (The last system took four weeks).

We have also installed a number of gardens, and looking to further extend this system.

Tonight we drove out and collected a ute of horse manure, which was instantly deployed into a new raised garden bed system.

This project is part of a broader vision to integrate food growing systems into the camp curriculum which we believe would really bolster the programe and teach these students great life skills.

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog purely by chance and I was so surprised when you mentioned Camp Ibis! I used to be a student at St.L's and I have been living in Germany now for 9 years (since leaving school). I now have my own garden and I am really interested in learning more about permaculture. I wish I'd learnt morea bout sustainable living at school.

    I wish you all the best!
    Kiera

    ReplyDelete