Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A BURIAL FIT FOR A WALLABY!





On my morning walk this morning Leesh and I found a fresh road kill wallaby, a sight,
not too uncommon for the Islanders (Unfortunately)

Although saddened by this horrible sight I was also excited. I hate seeing road kill just as much as the next nature loving greenie but as a budding permacultualist, who is always on the lookout for resources a fresh wallaby presents an abundant supply of nitrogen (essential for a hot compost).

I proceeded to put my day on hold and instantly started stock piling all the essential ingredients for a hot compost system. It was a rush against time as I knew the longer I took the more the wallaby would begin to smell!.

The key with the hot compost is to heap a carefully balanced combination nitrogen and carbon into a pile, which should then 'cook' at about 70 degrees.

I already had two straw bales (carbon) ready to go so that was easy, the next scavenger hunt items were: seaweed (nitrogen), this is found at low tide about 50m from my front door,
horse poo (nitrogen) from a local farm, and fresh grass clippings (nitrogen / carbon) which I took from a vacant house lot.

Armed and ready to go I set up a stock pile on our block and then got into the action of building the hot compost. It's essential to wet the pile but we don't have water on the block so I had to 'borrow' some from our next door neighbors (weekender's).

The theory is that the pile will heat up and break down all contents including wallaby super efficiently.

In my opinion the perfect burial for a hapless wallaby!,

Cheers,

Aj




2 comments:

  1. Hey inspirational gardeners,

    Thank you for your hard work with the garden and leading the way into greatness and community creations.

    I will follow and look forward to being part of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this done, it is incredible how fast it will break down! So many good nutrients not going to waste, a very fitting burial indeed.

    ReplyDelete